General purpose medium for freshwater strains, especially those requiring ammonium. Suitable for xenic and axenic cultures. Modification of Volvox Medium. MES buffer is used in place of glycylglycine, and ammonium chloride is added as a second nitrogen source.
Media kit includes all the necessary chemical components to prepare 10 Liters of MES-Volvox Medium. All UTEX Media Kit solutions are shipped sterile and should be handled aseptically to avoid contamination.
Medium At A Glance
|pH of Medium
||Micronutrients, NH4, NO3, Biotin, Vitamin B12
For 10L Total Volume
- Obtain and wear the appropriate PPE.
- To approximately 9.7 Liters (9,700 mL) of dH2O, add the first three solutions (Components #1-3) in order while stirring.
- Bring total volume to 10 Liters (10,000 mL) with dH2O.
- Cover and autoclave or filter-sterilize if non-sterile water was used.
- When cooled, aseptically add Component #4.
- Store at refrigerator temperatures.
Note: When combined this gives a pH of 6.5 before autoclaving. Both the standard medium and medium made from the 10L Media Kit show a pH of 6.5 - 6.6 after autoclaving.